Material of the Month, June 2015: Cacao Paper

Material of the Month, June 2015: Cacao Paper

Posted 29 May 2015 by Angelique Blankson

Cacao paper is an innovation making use of the waste skins generated by the 3.5 million tonnes of cocoa beans that are processed each year as part of the cacao and chocolate production industries.

It contains 10% cocoa shell content, which gives the paper its natural light brown colour and avoids the need for artificial dyes. The other 90% is predominantly made up of unbleached cellulose fibres. from sustainable crops.

Material-of-the-month-Cacao-paper

This bio-recycling solution was investigated by Barry Callebaut, a leading manufacturer of cocoa and chocolate products. He researched ways in which manufacturers could improve their environmental responsibility and enhance their waste recovery processes by reviewing their packaging. Incorporating waste cocoa shells into the paper-making process without the need for any additional processing was the result.

What can Cacao Paper be used for?

Currently this paper is in production and is certified for use in the food supply chain. One result of this innovation is that chocolate bars can now be wrapped in paper made from the waste materials of the used cocoa beans. Other applications include:

  • Brochures
  • Food Packaging
  • Garment Tags
  • Greetings Cards
  • Invitations
  • Luxury Packaging
  • Menus
  • Presentation Folders

Cacao-paper